The Opera House was built in 1891 and is one of the oldest theatres in Texas
- 1856 - Town of Uvalde (Las Encinas) laid out; Uvalde County organized
- 1883 - Railroad completed from San Anotnio, two miles north of Uvalde, on to California; most churches had been founded.
- January 20, 1891 - The day Opera House construction was to commence
- August 1, 1891 - The day the building was to be completed
- 1896 - M.C. Shocklett bought the Opera House
- December 31 1900 - Fred Cocke bought the Opera House
- April 11 1902 - Uvalde Leader News article stated that the Opera House would soon be turned over to the Uvalde Dramatic Association
- November 15 1907 - Opera House Manager hired and West Main School built
- 1908 - 'The Mikado' presented as a Methodist church benefit
- 1909 - Moving Pictures shown in the Opera House
- September 1911 - Completion of repairs to Opera House roof and to interior
- 1913 - Opera House had Vaudeville shows as well as moving pictures
- 1916 - W. Evans leased the Opera House and presented moving pictures and well as travelling performers; Uvalde Post Office built on Fountain Plaza
- 1916 - Cocke heirs sold Opera House to John Nance Garner
- 1927 - Courthouse and Kincaid Hotel built
- 1928 - Toney and John Karpos Opened Manhattan Cafe in Opera House
- 1929 - CPL became one of the upstairs Opera House renters
- 1930 - City Hall built
- 1933 - C.G. Morrison's Variety Store moved to lower floor of Opera House
- 1950's - Offices upstairs in Opera House were closed.
- April 25th 1967 - Opera House received Texas Historical Marker
- 1971 - Leader-News Publisher Harry Hornby Jr. invited artist Paul Kime to paint the Opera House. Widely distributed prints focused attention on the old building
- May 22 1978 - Opera House listed on National register of Historic Places
- July 7 1978 - Garner estate deeded the Opera House to the City of Uvalde
- August 1979 - Morrison's Store moved out. Mayor Charles M. Cain and the City Council appointed the Uvalde Historical Commission with Evalyn Matthews as chairman, and John S. Graves as architect, to proceed with restoration.
- October 31 1982 - Re-opening ceremonies for the restored Opera House were held, with Former Governor Dolph Briscoe giving the address. Curtis Tunnell of the Texas Historical Commission, city officials, and local historians were stage guests. John Currie unveiled the Garner portrait.
- November 6 1982 - First performance in the newly restored Opera House was 'Daughter of the Regiment', performed by 18 singers and a 25-piece orchestra from the Texas Opera Theatre of Houston
"The Uvalde Grand Opera House, built in 1891, seeks to enhance the lives of all people in Uvalde and the surrounding area through programs and presentations of quality live theatre, and to promote arts awareness and arts education. It is the mission of the Grand Opera House to provide for the enrichment and appreciation of the community in the areas of art, drama, music, dance, education, community service and historical preservation.
Rosie Whisenant - Theatre Manager
Advisory Board Members
Amanda Van Cleve- President
Susan Austin- Secretary
Mary Lou Williamson