The Opera House was built in 1891 and is one of the oldest theatres in Texas.
1856 - Town of Uvalde (Las Encinas) laid out; Uvalde County organized
1883 - Railroad completed from San Anotnio, two miles north of Uvalde, on to California; most churches had been founded.
January 20, 1891 - The day Opera House construction was to commence
August 1, 1891 - The day the building was to be completed
1896 - M.C. Shocklett bought the Opera House
December 31, 1900 - Fred Cocke bought the Opera House
April 11, 1902 - Uvalde Leader News article stated that the Opera House would soon be turned over to the Uvalde Dramatic Association
November 15, 1907 - Opera House Manager hired and West Main School built
1908 - 'The Mikado' presented as a Methodist church benefit
1909 - Moving Pictures shown in the Opera House
September 1911 - Completion of repairs to Opera House roof and to interior
1913 - Opera House had Vaudeville shows as well as moving pictures
1916 - W. Evans leased the Opera House and presented moving pictures and well as travelling performers; Uvalde Post Office built on Fountain Plaza
1916 - Cocke heirs sold Opera House to John Nance Garner
1927 - Courthouse and Kincaid Hotel built
1928 - Toney and John Karpos Opened Manhattan Cafe in Opera House
1929 - CPL became one of the upstairs Opera House renters
1930 - City Hall built
1933 - C.G. Morrison's Variety Store moved to lower floor of Opera House
1950's - Offices upstairs in Opera House were closed.
April 25th, 1967 - Opera House received Texas Historical Marker
1971 - Leader-News Publisher Harry Hornby Jr. invited artist Paul Kime to paint the Opera House. Widely distributed prints focused attention on the old building
May 22, 1978 - Opera House listed on National register of Historic Places
July 7, 1978 - Garner estate deeded the Opera House to the City of Uvalde
August 1979 - Morrison's Store moved out. Mayor Charles M. Cain and the City Council appointed the Uvalde Historical Commission with Evalyn Matthews as chairman, and John S. Graves as architect, to proceed with restoration.
October 31, 1982 - Re-opening ceremonies for the restored Opera House were held, with Former Governor Dolph Briscoe giving the address. Curtis Tunnell of the Texas Historical Commission, city officials, and local historians were stage guests. John Currie unveiled the Garner portrait.
November 6, 1982 - First performance in the newly restored Opera House was 'Daughter of the Regiment', performed by 18 singers and a 25-piece orchestra from the Texas Opera Theatre of Houston